Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Funny tidbit, garden, etc.

I heard the funniest thing on the radio last week. Ok, background: Martha Stewart's dog died. She raided champion Chows, beautiful dogs. One die, age 13, renal failure. Now, when you give a dog an AKC name it has to be unique, which is why when you watch a dog show they have strange and/or misspelled names, like Max's FountainHead W'ere the Bomb.

The three DJs (2 male, one female) on the radio were going through the news, and one of them read off about Martha's dog.

DJ1: Do you want to know what it's name is?
DJ2 & 3: Oh, no....
DJ1: Kublai Khan Paw-Paw Chow Chow Chow.
(pause)
DJ3: What?!?
DJ1: Kublai Khan Paw-Paw Chow Chow Chow.

Much laughter and commenting. It was very funny.

They then went on to 3 or 4 other news stories. The last one had to do with...

DJ1: John Mellencamp said today......
DJ2: Wait a minute, didn't his name used to be John Cougar Mellencamp?
DJ3: No, no no....it was John Cougar Mellencamp Chow Chow Chow.

Much laughter. I almost drove off the road.

In other news:

We had 4 inches of rain on Sunday. We'd just planted not quite 200lb of potatoes, and I'm really hoping they don't rot in the field. We have 300lb to plant this weekend, and they're calling for more rain.

The beets are starting to come up. This variety is notoriously difficult to get germinated, so I think the rain actually helped here. Also, I think I see radishes coming up, too. They are sooooo fast growing. Still no arugula, but the spinach is doing well, as are the peas.

I have a 4-day weekend starting tomorrow, and I think tomorrow and part of Friday I'm going to get a book and my hammock chair and sit outside and relax. I may plant the second batch of beets and a tomato, but mostly rest.

1 comment:

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

Too funny, makes me want to come up with an AKC name for myself now.

Could provide interesting stimulation for a blog entry... oh... um... chow chow chow.