Monday, October 13, 2008

Leveling out….I hope

It seems my life is finally leveling out a bit, although I hate to say that in fear that I might jinx it. I don’t know why I’ve had such a hard time getting back to normal since the hooplah of July, but there you go.

Matthew has been working diligently on the greenhouse, getting the inside structure up (to help with possible snow load this winter) and shelving. He’s doing a great job on it. He’s also putting a deck around the outside which will be very nice and helpful. As soon as that’s all done we can start cleaning out the garage and knock it down.

I’ve been busy with the garden but I don’t want to steal the garden blog thunder, so go over there to see what I’ve been up to. I’ve also been canning, so far I’ve made ketchup, salsa, and blackberry-chipotle sauce that is to die for.

My mom is planning on retiring the middle of November, but keep it hush hush because no one knows yet. They recently purchased a used white PT Cruiser with a moon roof.

Speaking of cars, the Camry goes in for some fixes. The gas pedal has been sticking really bad lately, and we have some lights out and a few other more cosmetic things to fix.


Max is doing well, he has been spending hours outside with us when we’re working. Hunting chipmunks (see action shot, right). All Hail Max, Conqueror of Chipmunks! He occasionally runs into something, but doesn’t get hurt. He did find a patch of briars, the kind that cling and stick to his fur. He had two stuck on the underside of his paw around the pads of his foot, not comfortable. He also had three on his inner thighs that we had a real time getting out. Fortunately none got stuck to his, ah, manhood, which would have been excruciating, I’m sure.

I’ve been watching the election coverage and the economy meltdown with concerned interest. This is a very very good time for people my age and younger, we can recoup our losses and then some when the markets go back up. This is a very very bad time for people of my inlaws generation because they can’t recoup this. My inlaws have all their retirement in the stock market, I can only imagine how much they’ve lost in the past few weeks. I don’t think they know yet, and quite frankly I don’t think they even realize they may be in trouble. I haven’t heard any heads exploding yet. Stay tuned.

Work has been interesting. We have a new head honcho who’s been tweaking the website and the card catalog to his heart’s content, and so far I like the outcome. Things keep getting screwy, though, because some changes have unforeseen consequences. So it’s been entertaining.

I’ve decided to search for a new doctor, again. This is the second one this year. I’m just not comfortable with the place I chose 8 months ago. So I’m off to find another. I’ve got almost 2 months to find one, a prescription I have runs out in December.

Tim is coming to visit at the end of the month, hallelujah! I’m not sure what all we’ll get up to, stay tuned.

I’m doing something interesting this week for the first time, stay tuned for a report!

4 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Boy I had to take a deep breath after reading this post. :-)
The greenhouse is starting to look really nice.
I'm glad that you are getting into canning. It's always fun for me and I keep looking for new things/recipes to can!

Jody M said...

I had to take a deep breath after writing it. :)

OK, so I have a question for you about canning. I wrote the woman who does the PickYourOwn website and asked her about recipes, and she told me not to use a recipe that hasn't been 'tested' by a major university or the USDA, etc, because they may not be safe. I found some great recipes on recipezaar that I really want to try, but....????? Opinions on this?

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I have used recipes found from sites other than PickYourOwn site. I do not know too much about canning, perhaps I should get a book and read more about it. Here is another site I like to go and the follwing is their Q&A section: http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/faq/42.php

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

Oy. :( A PT cruiser. What an ugly car. But hey... it's her money.

I am looking forward to seeing the green house and all the other great work you have been doing.

I have a cat named Cheese, you may have read about her recent weight-loss and her new name "Reduced Fat Cheese". She looks innocent enough, but I have to say she is quite the huntress so much so that I call her Cheese The Disembowler.