Tuesday, September 29, 2009

General Work Update

Good News: I have a job! Not much else has changed. The company is the daughter company of the one I work for now. Same HR people, same address, same offices, etc. $2/hr raise.

Also, 2 of the slacker librarians had their hours cut, but are keeping their health insurance and getting a $5/hr raise....and they're still complaining! Can you believe it?

Indifferent News: 401(k) is different, so I have to rollover my current nothing-to-sneeze-at 401(k) into a new Edward Jones IRA soon. I meet with our Edward Jones manager tomorrow morning. Should be fun. We'll also discuss where I should put my future 401(k) withholdings with the new company, Principal. Principal sucks as a 401(k) option, at least compared to my previous option, Great-West.

The biggest deal so far has been deciding which health insurance company I want to go with, the new company's or Matthew's company.

New Company: offers one of the billions of Blue Cross/Blue Shield variations, but it is a Maryland plan and almost none of my doctors are in it, and the local hospital isn't, either. However, they do not have any problem with pre-existing conditions, and that is a huge benefit.

Matt's Company: also one of the billions of Blue Cross/Blue Shield variations, but is a NJ plan. However, ALL of my doctors are in it as well as the local hospital. Deductibles are reasonable, breakpoints are reasonable, vision & dental are reasonable. I don't know yet about pre-existing conditions, though. If I picked this plan we would save $73/month on our paycheck withholdings for medical insurance.

Most of my paperwork is filled out and handed in. Tomorrow is my last day of work with my old company, I've already received the termination letter.

Thursday is day one with a new company!

No comments: