Thursday, March 11, 2004

It hits the fan, part 4

Yes, we evacuated. I still remember walking through the airport that Sunday and seeing Sam standing there waiting for us.

I still get fairly emotional when I get to this point. I mean, I didn’t know what was going on, I was 4. I don’t remember any sense of fear or panic or anything from my mom or anyone around me, but I can imagine that the place was probably full of people trying to get out. I think I must have known that something unusual was going on.

But looking back on it I realize that if things had gone the other way, I never would have seen my childhood home again. Or the battlefield, or my family in PA (we left my grandfather at the nursing home, I just realized that). A lot of things. I probably would be speaking with a deep sothrun accent right now. My life would have been very different.

Monday, April 1, President Jimmy Carter visited TMI. You might ask: why on earth would a president visit a potentially deadly place, and why would the secret service let him? Many people asked that. The answer: Mr. Jimmy had graduated from the Annapolis Naval Academy with a degree in nuclear physics. I really get annoyed when someone jokes about President Carter. He may not have been our best president, but he is a good man. I'm glad he was president when this emergency happened.

Anyway, it turned out that the full meltdown my father predicted was stopped **half an hour** before it happened. That’s how close we came, people. Half an hour.

No comments: