Monday, March 14, 2005

"He said he thought I was an angel"

A man on trial for rape overcame the officer watching him, shot and killed the judge presiding over his trial, shot and killed the court reporter, shot and killed a deputy, almost killed the reporter whose car he hijacked, and later killed an immigration officer.

The day before, he was found to have two homemade knives that he smuggled into the court in his shoes.

Now, the question running through the media is how can you have a person on trial for a brutal rape NOT handcuffed and in the presence of one female officer? Especially the day after he smuggled two blades into the court? Hello?? Does anyone in Atlanta have a brain?

It turns out the answer is a resounding yes. I am not a Christian, I don't believe in miracles. I do believe we are directed to certain places for certain reasons at certain times. The trick is to have enough intelligence to recognize it when it happens.

Ashley Smith did just that. If Nicholls had run into anyone else in that city, he and many other people would be dead right now. Somehow, Ashley knew what to do. I don't know how. I couldn't have done what she did, I don't think. What an amazing turn of events.

I do not condone what he did, I do not try to defend his murders, and I sympathize with the families of the slain. However, who could have thought this monster had a human face?

If you haven't, please read the transcript or view the video of her first-person account of what happened while she was a 'hostage.' They currently have it on CNN.

No comments: