Friday, March 04, 2005

Back to the grindstone

I'm considering going back to school. The thought scares the shit out of me. This is graduate school, for gods sake.

I have been looking for a great program for years and I think I may have finally found one. UNC-Greensboro has a great Master of Arts in Liberal Studies that is fully online. The classes look facinating, and I'm planning on taking a class this summer online to see if I like it, and maybe another in the Fall, for the same reason. You can only take 3 classes from them before you have to enroll in the program. Ugh. I hate making decisions like that.

The thing is I have a BA in Sociology right now, and it's more and more feeling like a "do you want fries with that?" degree. Why whould I want a "do you want fries with that?" Masters as well?

On the other hand, I have a friend who has a BA in something, an MA in Russian, an MA in Anthropology and most of an MA in History, AND she's currently going back for another BA in Psychology. There is nothing saying this is the only MA I can ever get, and it is a good stepping stone off to other things. Many of the jobs I've looked at require a masters, but don't really care what it's in.

If I take 3 graduate credits per semester I'm considered half-time and my undergraduate loans can be defered, which means more money to put towards more important bills with higher interest rates. Matt's loans will be paid off within the year, too. I don't see how this is a bad idea. Except that I might hate it, but I'm gonna give it a whirl anyway.

No comments: