Monday, July 21, 2008

When it rains….

…it pours. This week has been really rough. Max is doing well, from what we can gather from his attitude and actions. He goes for his one week check up today, I’ll report back when I know something.

However, Mary V., one of Matt’s grandmothers, died very unexpectedly yesterday in a freak carbon monoxide accident. They found her ‘asleep’ on the sofa, barely breathing. After 911 was called, etc etc, they found the car had been running in the garage long enough to run out of gas. The CO was 1700 parts per million, enough to kill in 2 hours. (Everyone: PLEASE be sure your smoke detectors are also CO detectors!)

The shock of the accident is the worst part. Grandma had a really good run, she was feisty. She’d had 11 kids. She was an extremely active senior and at 4’11” still did a lot of her own work around the house, carrying the 8' step ladder up from the basement to fix the curtains, etc. Her kids gave her hell when they found out these things, but Matt and I had a catchphrase we used for her: GO GRANDMA!!!!

She was my adopted grandma, too. My two grandfathers died when I was 6, on of my grandmothers died before I was born, and the other was estranged from us, so I really never had grandparents that I really knew. Mary V. was my adopted grammy. I’m glad to have had 10 years with her. She’s the kind of old lady I want to be when I grow up. And, hey, there are worse ways to go. It could have been a stroke or cancer, she could have lingered for a long time…

I will do a grammy retrospective sometime this week, you won’t want to miss it. Lots of funny stories.

2 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Oh Jody, I'm so sorry to hear about Matt's and your grandmother. It's such a shock to hear about the accident.

Jody M said...

Thanks, it was a real shock, but everyone seems to be taking things well. For now. Unfortunately we are expecting more than a few family members fighting to get their 'fair' share. Sad.

Family is already starting to appear. The funny thing is that Matt's brother and 2 aunts are going to be staying with his parents...but they currently don't have water because they had the well drilled deeper yesterday and so far no one has come to put in the new pump and hook everything up! Yikes. 5 adults...1 shower...no water.

I'm going to put up a bit about Max's checkup later today.