Sunday, November 16, 2008

Six random facts about me

Tim tagged me, so here's the scoop. I really don't have anyone to tag, but if YD wants to take this and run, she can be my guest.


Random fact #1

I wanted to be an archaeologist from the time I was 3. I made it through until I was 20 and in college decided to change my major from Anthropology to Sociology. Anthro just seemed to be too voyeuristic. I was raised as a white middle-class female in the most affluent country in the world. You can’t sell me on the possibility of me going to (for example) Papua New Guinea, spending 2 years there and then suddenly proclaiming ‘I understand why they do that!’ Nope. Sorry. Not buying.


Random fact #2

I have a half sister. Somewhere.


Random fact #3

I had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed with only local anesthesia. I was awake for the whole thing. I wouldn’t recommend it, but every time I get scared about something I just say to myself: If I could do that I can do anything.


Random fact #4

I took horseback riding lessons for 6 years when I was a kid. I never really did anything with it. Two interesting things happened, though. I got kicked in the face by a horse once. A car backfired and scared the horse as I was leading it out of the ring and it reared up and his left front hoof caught me on the back swing. One inch higher and it would have taken out my right eye. I was very lucky it didn’t break my cheekbone, but I had only a black eye for a week or so.

Got kicked in the head by a horse. It explains a lot!

I also fell off a horse a few times. The one that still amazes me was the time the horse stopped dead right in front of a jump. I flew over the horses head and landed in front of the horse….in front of the jump…….with the reigns still in my hands…….and…….wait for it……..….I landed on my feet. I wish I had it on tape, it must have been incredibly funny. Then again, Christopher Reeves did the same thing but had another outcome.


Random fact #5

I spent about 3 years of my childhood on rollerskates, at least while I wasn’t at school or in the house. Sometimes in the house, too. I was pretty good at it, and fast. I attribute my leg muscles to that and horseback riding.


Random fact #6

I have a habit of collecting quotes. Right now on my bulletin board at work, I have the following:

Anger blocks intelligence
Superheros are disastrous for humankind. – Frank Herbert 1980
Marshall’s Generalized Iceberg Theorem: 7/8ths of everything can’t be seen
Beware of the left, for they will bankrupt you; beware of the right, for they will kill you.
When people start looking for the perfect life they end up miserable.

1 comment:

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

I do remember you saying something before a long time ago about horseback riding, but I think you left out the kicks to the head and face bits. I love it! Glad you are alright... sort of. ::lol:: ::kiss kiss::

I am smiling terribly at the thought of a young you on skates for like three years, and I am struggling very hard not to call you "Roller Girl". But you know what, I miss skating.

A new rink is reopening local and some of the girls (aka guys) want to start a girls (aka guys) night.

Could be fun!

"Marshall’s Generalized Iceberg Theorem: 7/8ths of everything can’t be seen"

I love it!