Sunday, February 02, 2014

Old Man Winter is Serious This Year

I like winter - no, really, I do - and this year is really no different.  I enjoy the break, the time to reflect on the past year.  Plan the next year.  Nest.  Replenish the soul, so to speak.  Don't want to sound too flowery, but you know what I mean.

I live in the southest-centralist part of PA, right on the Mason Dixon line near Gettysburg.  We haven't had a good, hard winter here in years.  I mean one where it was cold and snowy for extended periods of time.  We had a couple good blizzards in 1993 and 1994, a couple more in 2010.  But the last two winters were especially wimpy with snow, and any cold we had was a day or two here and there, but there didn't seem to be a commitment.

This year is making up for all that.

It is only February 2nd, and we have already had more snow than (I think) the past 3 years put together.  We've had weeks in the single digits, day and night, with a few nights dipping into the negatives, especially if you count wind chill.  Wind, oh, yes, it's been windy.  And tonight into tomorrow we are going to get another whumping of snow, maybe 6-8" or more.

We've heard next weekend there may be a storm of 32-46" or more.  We'll see.

And today?  Yeah, it was 53* outside.  I almost got out the short sleeved shirts.  Almost.

We just can't get over this weather.  People are making jokes about global warming, of course.  I'm kind of liking it.  This is one of those years we will talk about for, well, years.  

(This post's theme song is the tune I sing whenever I drive in the snow: Slip Sliding Away by Paul Simon

No comments: