Friday, February 11, 2005

The Big 3-0

Well, now. I a little over 2 weeks I turn 30. I know, I know. Really, though, this is not a big deal to me. No, seriously. It's just another year, just another day. Just another reminder that I'm not getting any younger and my face will soon start to wrinkle and my EYESIGHT WILL BE SHOT TO HELL AND I WILL HAVE TO FIGHT HARDER AND HARDER AGAINST ANOTHER FIVE POUNDS AND BUNIONS! I'M GOING TO GET BUNIONS FOR GODS SAKE! BUNIONS!!

Ok. So it's just another year.

Seriously, though, there is one thing that made me say, "Oh. Hang on a minute." My direct female line on my mom's side doesn't have a good track record when it comes to health. My grandmother had a stroke at age 59 and a heart attack at age 60, which killed her. My mother had a heart attack at age 59 (and nothing at age 60, thank god. She is a health 62 now).

Being the third in line to inherit this is unsettling at best and scary at worst. I haven't exactly been excercising like I should, or eating like I should. To think that if I don't really start changing my lifestyle I could end up with the same thing happening to me in 30 years......30 years! But wait! That's how long I've been alive.

That means if I don't change my ways I am...right now...at this point.... half way through my life.

Whoa.

Half way? How can that be! Holy shit. I can't be on the downward swing already, can I?

But here I am, my family's health history staring me in the eye as it winds the clock.

Talk about a kick in the head.

Time to do something about it. More than time to do something about it.....

No comments: