Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Another Max Update

Max is at the vet today, this morning we noticed he had broken a tooth. I'm guessing (though I don't know) that when he fell he cracked it, and more recently it broke. We looked really well several times and didn't see any problems with his teeth the night he fell, so....

It is not a canine, it is one of the four little upper teeth between the canines. The ones that are about the size of grains of sand. Each.

They are doing a 'dental' on him, they may/may not pull the tooth. I don't know. Poor baby. He didn't seem to be in any pain, though. I'm not sure how well he's been eating.
~~~~~~~~~
In other dog dental news, when we were at the vet two weeks ago *and I mentioned he fell, and the vet looked and didn't see any problems, either* the vet did tell us that we might want to start brushing his teeth, the back ones are starting to get a lot of tartar. This is how the conversation went:

Vet: "You might think about starting to brush his teeth."

Me: "How, exactly, do you recommend I do that?"

Vet: "Oh, it's easy. Get a baby toothbrush, really soft. Open up a can of tuna, drain off the juice, and stick the toothbrush in the juice and start brushing his front teeth."

Me: "Oh, he'll LOVE that!" (he will, he adores tuna. He almost climbs us when we have tuna).

Vet: "Exactly! He'll be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. Start at the front, and every day do a little bit further back."

Me: "Sounds easy enough."

Vet: "And then, when he gets used to that, come on in and get a tube of the meat-flavored toothpaste we have at the desk."


I knew it was too good to last. I think I'll stick with the tuna juice, but don't you wonder if they've ever tasted it?

4 comments:

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

::insert me vomiting like the Exorcist girl::

MEAT FLAVORED TOOTHPASTE!!!??

Jody M said...

Doesn't it....just take your breath away??

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Meat flavored toothpaste...now I've heard it all.
Poor Max, I hope he is ok.

Angie said...

:: dodges airbourn Exorcist puke ::

You know, I know some meat-eaters who might actually enjoy that sort of thing.