Thursday, August 06, 2009

No Contract Contact (yet)

The latest on the contract is that there is no latest.
Well, that's not entirely true. The RFP went out the middle of May. If you are interested in seeing that, click here. It was, to our collective shock, all online. Some of it is in government-ese, but mostly it talks about what work is to be done, etc. There is also a tab that lists interested companies, of which there were apparently 30.

The proposals from interested companies were due on June 11th. We have no idea how many companies bid, but we did learn that because it was a 'small business' contract our current company couldn't bid. So, they did what every Beltway Bandit would do in a similar situation and bid on the contract through the small business sister company they created just for that purpose. Ahem. I don't think they will get it. I have a hunch that the RFP was written up in this manner in order to exclude them.

Two weeks ago, our fed told us that the 'award was being written up,' which means a decision has been made. I don't know if the company has been informed yet, but I do know the award has to be posted somewhere for a period of time before it can become public. I don't know how long. I'm guessing we'll find out the 3rd or 4th week of August, because that will leave the new company (if there is one) a month to interview, rehire, and/or restructure the workings of the contract, if necessary. We could find out the very end of September, though.

He also told us that the branch chief was grumbling about the price, which I take as good news. It means it was more than they really wanted to spend.

It is really weighing on all of us, though we're really not talking about it much. We all have our plans on hold after October 1st, just in case we don't have jobs then. No one is taking any vacation time, just in case we need the money (we will get paid for unspent holiday and vacation time by the old company).

I do a web search every other day or so to see if it has made the business news anywhere, which often happens. I don't trust my manager to actually tell us what is going on, so I try to find out through other means.