Monday, January 18, 2010

Strange Dreams

I have a friend who often asks about dreams. Have I had any interesting dreams lately? Well, have I ever! I usually don’t remember my dreams, but this one was….strange. There are elements that you will probably recognize, but I’ll mention a few things at the end. *names changed to protect the innocent*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was at work, but in our breakroom finishing up lunch. One of my coworkers, K, was there. 8 bags of dead leaves were also stacked in there for me. I was debating with K whether I should go ahead and move them to where my desk was or not because E (the fed in charge of our contract) didn’t want me to but, hey, what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him, right?

So, I hoisted 4 bags over my shoulders (superhuman strength in dreams, apparently), and started to carry them back to my desk with K tagging along behind me, worried. But it turns out I had trouble getting through the hall to my desk because of all the women doing inventory on the books on shelves lining the hallways.

But they weren’t the only problem! For some reason, they’d also routed the lines of refugees through the hall, too. I don’t know where the refugees were coming from or going to, but there were a lot of them and they were going in one door, through the hall, past my desk, through another door and out.

It was overcast outside, the lights were out in the building, women doing inventory, refugees in various states of disrepair walking through the building, 4 bags of leaves, K fussing behind me, and now E appears and I’m struggling to move the bags of leaves from room to room so he doesn’t know I have them up there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About then I woke up. It was a very strange dream. The leaves are obvious. We’re doing an inventory in the basement of the building right now, and it is dark and dingy down there. I’m guessing the refugees are in response to Haiti, but to tell the truth I haven’t seen much footage about it so it may be something else and these people tromping through the library weren't Hatian. Really, really strange. Sometimes I wish I remembered my dreams more.

2 comments:

Angie said...

It sounds like you're experiencing stress with the many demands of your life -- house projects, work, global issues such as Haiti, etc.

Speaking of dreams, I recently had a magnificent dream about Calcutta that I'll share with you sometime.

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

You hauling the leaves might be symbolism that you feel you are carrying too much on your shoulders at the moment yet find the superhuman strength to do it or feel the need to yourself since no one is helping you. Possibly you are eager for Spring... or that you love composting too much and are beginning to dream about it.

I think your breakdown sounds reasonable though.