Thursday, May 06, 2010

1 Commission Done!!!

3 to go....
A friend contacted me about a pair of earrings she saw on Peruvian Connection. She asked if I could do something similar. The ones in the catalog were too long and way too pricey. I said I'd give it a try.
Some people scoff at artists copying work. I don't have a problem with it, really. If we didn't copy other work we would be reinventing knitting or metal smithing with every generation. Copying a style is how you learn. This is a skill set I can now use for other work.
The leather really threw me in this, until a coworker told me about soaking leather and molding it. Some cultures do this to make masks. I tried it and....well, it worked!!
The center is abalone shell. The beads are all sterling silver, gold fill, or faceted glass.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Pretty!

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

Those are really fantastic. :-)

Mama Pea said...

Wow! What a lot of intricate work!

Jody M said...

Thank you!!! They were fun, a little time consuming, and interesting to figure out.