Sunday, May 09, 2010

Commission #2 Done!

One of my creative hobbies (aside from jewelry making) is a Japanese embroidery technique called Temari. I've been doing these for more than 10 years. It is a dying art in Japan, from what I'm told, but the detailed, geometric patterns are gaining popularity among American embroidery artists.
A few years ago, I made a Temari ball for my cousin's wedding. I did it in silk with primarily gold and various shades of neutral cream and white on a creamy base. I also did a 4-strand braid as a hanging loop, and I added a small tassel on the bottom.
A detail showing the gold threads between the intertwined layers.

My cousin's wife liked it so much that when they were up this winter, she asked me to do one each for their two sons. This is the first:

She picked out the more turquoise-y color and I matched around it. The thread in this one is all cotton.
Many Temari patterns are floral based. They use geometric patterns, but the effect is very floral. I wanted this to be more BOY, so I chose a different kind of pattern.
I really like how it turned out.
The dark color isn't black, it's navy blue. My cousin and his wife met while they were both in the Navy, so I figured I'd add that. The next one will also have navy in it.

2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Holy Cow! I cannot begin to fathom HOW you do that!?

You are one VERY talented lady. Why aren't you rich and famous? I'm serious!

Jody M said...

Thank you! All I can say is the universe doesn't know a good thing when they see it. Ha ha. Kidding.

I have a mechanical, 3D mind. Doing temari is kind of like problem solving to me. And these are basic patterns! I'll post a couple websites that show the really detailed patterns from Japan.