Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I’m in a Bad Mood

I’m in a really bad mood today. It started yesterday. I was off 4 days last week, so I came back to some work that needed fixed and/or changed. I also had a pile of stuff that just didn’t get done. AND on top of that the bindery shipment picked yesterday to return, so I have to check all of those back in, which isn’t difficult but is tedious.

I’m also fighting off a toothache, which I’m hoping is going away completely. My last remaining wisdom tooth. I’m planning on getting it out over this summer sometime, while I still have some sick leave. Since the current company probably won’t be getting the contract in October, I’ll be back down to 0 sick leave. I might as well use it while I can.

Then, one of my coworkers cannot find a loose issue, 2008 #5 of this particular title (which costs us $8000 a year). The location is listed as ‘Current Issue’ which means it should be at the main floor, but it wasn’t there. #4 was there. #5 was missing.
The thing is, I know what happened. Lazy 20yo, one of our part-timers, is the one who usually shelves loose journals. She is sloppy. She does her work very very quickly so she can use the computers here for her schoolwork and the book she is writing. She has been doing this since she started. I have been complaining about it to management since then, as well.

Did I mention that she’s taking an online course this semester. Yeah. She doesn’t own a computer. Guess where she’s taking the course.

Did I mention we have a management problem? Or shall I say management-lack-thereof?

In this case, I’m going to bypass management and talk to her directly. She is doing college full time, working here part time and the money she makes here ($12+/hr) is VERY good for the area for a part time job. She is relying on it. She is young enough not to realize how lucky she is right now. Our contract comes up this year. If it comes down to losing a position, her’s is one that is on the chopping block.

One of the things I’m going to tell her is that if we had a serious manager who took seriously the dozens of times I’ve complained (with evidence) about her work she would have been fired long ago. And I’m not the only one who has complained. She will have a very hard time finding someone here who will give her a positive reference for another job.

So, then the headache began and I was doing a really good job of fighting it off when, oh bountiful Jehovah, one of the loudest Feds on campus decided to camp out and talk at us for 45 minutes. I left, went downstairs, but the damage was done. *sigh*

I was looking forward to getting home and doing some nice, quiet clean-up of the kitchen, making dinner, maybe afterwards going and looking and thinking about the flower garden soon-to-be, but nooooooo. I wound up helping Matt spread hay over some newly filled-in low spots in the lawn. Dinner? We ate at a ripe old 8:30.
I did, however, have a nice Sidecar
while I ate.

1 comment:

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

That does sound pretty shytty. Everything seems shyttyer when you are in pain... not to lessen the general pain in the ass that work and coworkers are anyway.

Sounds like the end of the day... and by that I mean the sidecar... was good way to end the day.