Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jon and Kate Break Up

Is anyone seriously surprised about this? I don't watch this show, but.....a few thoughts:

  • I wonder how the network feels about breaking up a family. I wonder if anyone there feels this is anything but Higher Ratings!!! Adds the Baltimore Sun's David Zurawik: "I wonder if [viewers] feel exploited by TLC selling ads and making millions of dollars out of a show announcing a divorce that will not only leave eight kids with a shattered family -- but a video record of their family coming undone..."
  • I really am angry that any young couple would put children in such a position. It is just short of...what? Not to mention the fact that the PA Department of Labor is investigating whether or not this show counts as illegal under child labor laws....ahem.
  • When asked what worries her most, Kate said it's "the label that we've failed, how that will affect our kids ... how they'll be another statistic." Um, didn't you make them a statistic when you decided to have not one but two rounds of multiples??

I just don't even know what to say, what a load of crap. Tell me what you think...

3 comments:

Angie said...

A few comments:

- I suspect that the family had stress cracks in its foundation from the beginning, so I doubt that the network directly broke them up. Still, I agree that it is VERY unethical for the network to make money off of their crumbling marriage and their children.

- I don't like the fact that this couple basically hocked their children and family life for money on TV. It's not healthy for children to have their every move scrutinized by millions of viewers. Jon and Kate need to reflect on their own ethical failings in doing this.

- It's revealing that Kate's greatest regret is "the label that we've failed". She's more concerned with how others see her than how this will affect her children. Yikes.

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

I am not at all surprised. I know a disaster when I see it coming.

I watched a total of maybe ten minutes of the program through it's run... that was more than enough to know that this was going to end badly for just about everyone.

Angie said...

Tim -- How could you tell?