Friday, March 16, 2012

Garden Grows

It has been very unseasonably warm here, in the 70s at least during the day, etc, so I am kicking myself for not starting my onions, cabbage, and lettuce seeds a month earlier than I actually did.  Oh, well.  No one is saying it will stay this warm, but still.  The Magnolias are blooming. 

I put my first round of peas and beets in the ground yesterday, and I'm hoping to get the rest in this weekend.

I bought a 50lb bag of Yukon Gold potatoes and 4lb of All Blues.  They both do really well for us here. 

My main thing this year will be getting the flower bed in better shape.  I'm planning on getting a hosta grab bag for under the maple, then planting some flowering things with them.  Also some bugleweed.  I need to weed and mulch desperately in the sunny side.

2 comments:

Ahab said...

I'm wondering how the unseasonably warm winter will affect the garlic I planted last fall. My pepper and beet seedlings are growing nicely indoors, and I bought several varieties of seed potatoes recently.

Jody M said...

I planted peas and beets outside....and there is evidence of chickens in the bed, so I'm not sure what has been eaten and what hasn't. Nothing has sprouted yet, though, nor have the spinach seeds I planted w/the garlic. Hm.