Sunday, March 11, 2012

We're Down to Three Weeks...

The latest LAST week was that we should have been hearing from the company.  We didn't.

But I know who it is now.  K name-dropped (on purpose, not accidentally) to me someone that was involved, and I know who it is and what he does, so I know who the company is.  I am happy about it.  It is an Alaskan Native Corporation.

Alan, my boss, still isn't "in the know." And I realized this week that IF the company in question had contacted Alan (since he is project manager) on behalf of both of us, I wouldn't trust him to tell me. 

I'm feeling pretty secure right now, though.  I am curious (with a bit of concern thrown in) wondering WHY the company has not contacted us.  Three weeks isn't a lot of time to get 1 or 2 new employees signed up, paperwork in, etc, with a potential start date of Monday, April 2. 

Alan is the type of man who is quiet but firm, and he is quietly but firmly freaking out over all this.  I'm torn.  He has IMHO been holding the entire program back with his inability to change, single handedly torpedoed the contract so the current holding company couldn't get it, and I learned recently made some very powerful enemies (including one undersecretary in DHS).  But he is also a very sweet man who means well, who served his country with honors, and I don't want to see him completely deflated.  He's effectively priced himself out of the market (any market) in his own mind, so he won't even thing of applying for jobs under a certain $ amount.  In this economy, and again IMHO, he should be applying for everything and anything.

This situation with Alan is falling right in line with a lot of things I'm seeing with a lot of people: we seem to find ourselves back in situations that we've been in before but didn't learn what we needed to learn.  Each consecutive time around gets more sticky and difficult until we "get it."  I think he's back in such a situation. 

No comments: